Thursday, July 14, 2011

Two incomplete runs, blech

I decided that this week was the week to stop with the walk/run and just go with running.  I think I have to retract that decision.  Today was better than yesterday, but both were not very good.  Blech.  It's frustrating to think that a month ago in Germany, I felt like I was running pretty well and now I feel like a failure.

Yesterday, I had things to do in the morning, so I waited until the evening to run.  I knew that this would be challenging because it would be hot and I expected to hit my two-mile wall, which occurs after running 2 miles before I heat adapt when I simply need to walk.  The weather last night was 89.6F with humidity of 62% when I went and the dew point was 75F.  That is not a nice dew point.  Also, the temperature and humidity definitely put that near the threshold of ick (when humidity + temperature > 160).  But I didn't even get to two miles.  After one mile, I had to start walking.  I think that I started too fast considering the conditions, which didn't help, but I was still frustrated by the result.

On to today.  Admittedly, I did get started a bit later than I would have liked, but I thought that the reduced humidity would make up for my tardiness (around 9am instead of 8am).  The dew point, according to Accuweather, was 77F, the temperature was 81F and the humidity was 86%.  Okay, so that's nasty.  But I'm still annoyed at myself for having to walk and not making it through my four miles.  I feel like I used to be able to get through these things but this year I have no capacity or stamina or something.  It's probably just no adaptation to the heat since I was gone for a while.  I'm still irritated about it.

So it will be treadmill later today to finish off the 2 miles that I didn't get done this morning.  And I've accepted that I will have to walk on Sunday during parts of the long run or I won't make it.  But it is really bugging me.

I mean, I guess the good news is that I got further today than yesterday before having to walk?  That's not really consolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment