Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Completing two more runs

Last weekend's runs were a 3 mile and an 8 mile as the long run (I'm getting caught up now, but have been staying on schedule, even if I haven't been blogging).  I was determined to complete the 3 miles without having to walk and fortunately, I accomplished this goal.  The weather seemed slightly more amenable than last Thursday, so maybe there was something particularly awful about that day.  It's encouraging that I completed the run since last week was getting frustrated.

Sunday I decided that even though I completed the 3 miles, I still wasn't ready to run 8 miles straight.  So I opted instead to do 0.05 walk/0.35 run throughout.  It went pretty well, although it was still extremely challenging.  No guilt about walking when conditions are that tough.  I also planned the run pretty well because I looped around a water fountain and I definitely took advantage.  Amazing how much liquid you can drink when it is hot out.

It felt funny doing a real long run again.  I wore my running belt, got my all-natural energy drink, took along some sport beans, and finished by downing a chocolate milk.  It's been a while since I needed all of these extras--since I was training for the marathon in fact.  It took me a little bit to remember the routine, but everything went quite well from the preparation standpoint.  Next week's long run goes down to 7 miles, although I think that I will probably run-walk it regardless.

One thing that I did not anticipate was that I need to go earlier because there is less shade than there was in winter.  As a result, I was in the sun more often, which I find challenging.  I think that I was accustomed to the sun being less fierce, but then again, the last long runs that I was doing were back in November, so things are a bit different.

No comments:

Post a Comment