Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tired legs

Yesterday, I did my first yoga class in a good long while, and I have to say that while it wasn't overly challenging, it was somewhat challenging, and I am definitely feeling tired in different places than normal today.  I thought that this would lead to a good night's sleep, but unfortunately I woke up at around 4am very thirsty.

Note to self: do not forget water when running on treadmills, then attending yoga classes.  Water is your friend.

I was hoping to get up bright and early today to do half of a 5-mile run, but unfortunately, my 4am wake-up did not help things.  Instead, I wound up getting out of bed closer to 10am (this was after being up for a while after 4am), which is too late to actually run.  Also, there are still storms circling around in deceptive ways.  For instance, earlier today it was sunny and seemingly nice, when I heard ominous thunder.  Right now it is raining.  Again.  You might be noticing a pattern here.

I did get myself to the gym and I tried the weird treadmill that I described yesterday, the Woodway Curve.  The jury is still out on this one.  It supposedly goes as fast as you are running, but I found it considerably more challenging to get a regular pace than on a conventional treadmill (or just plain running outside).  It feels very heavy and I was running about 0.5 mph slower than I was yesterday on the normal treadmill.  I got through about 1.2 miles with a couple of walk breaks; it was considerably warmer and more humid today than yesterday, and I got pretty sweaty even just doing that. 

My gym recently acquired some rowing machines, like real Concept 2 rowing machines as opposed to those 'replicating water' ones that are actually toys.  I decided to do two 500m intervals with a 1-minute rests in between.  Considering that my legs were already tired from yoga, treadmill running, and wacky treadmill running, I think I did okay.  By the standards of actually erging on the machine, I did not do all that great.

I forgot that this week is a semi-taper week and my long run tomorrow is only 6 miles, instead of upping from the 7 miles last week.  So I think it's okay to skip the second half of my run this afternoon, especially since I am feeling tired.  Tomorrow, I will set the alarm and get half of the 6 miles out of the way early, then do the rest later (possibly on a treadmill, depending on storms).  Next week I should be able to get back on track with the schedule.  I do have to say that I've been more excited about things than I am for next week's 8-mile run.  Time to stock up on healthy Gatorade and caffeinated runner's jellybeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment