Sunday, July 31, 2011

Encouraging end to the week

Two encouraging accomplishments to finish up the week of running:

1) 3 x 1M: Friday's run was three one-mile runs, with walking in between.  For a variety of reasons, these had to be done on the treadmill.  So I decided to make it fun, where 'fun' means 'let's see if we can get through this or not.'  I decided to try and do the three at a pace of 10-minute miles.  I don't usually run this fast.  Definitely, in the hot weather, I come nowhere near running this fast.  But everyone should have some 'fun' sometimes.

And I did it!  Of course, there were walk breaks between them, but that was the whole point.  It feel like a major accomplishment even if it did knock me out later.  This was definitely a 'fun' week of running!  Okay, it was actually very challenging.  That is the better word.

2) Long run: this week was 9 miles.  I followed the route suggested by my friend and yes, I did run up the Rocky steps.  I also saw the Rocky statue, along with many other scenic Philly sites.  The run along Ben Franklin Parkway is fantastic! 

And then....and then....and then.... there were boathouses along Boathouse Row (pretty ones too) and I got to watch rowers on the river while I was running.  Yay.  I thought I might run into something, actually, because at times I got pretty obsessed with this.  But it was super nice to have this kind of distraction during a run.

Besides the scenery and the rowing, the route had one more major advantage: strategically placed drinking fountains with cold water.  It was slightly warm this morning, although nowhere near the oppressive ick of Florida.  The temperature was in the 80s but -- get this -- the dewpoint was in the low 60s and the humidity was around 50%.  My GOD.  What a difference these conditions made.  Add in some strategically placed drinking fountains and life is beautiful.

I liked it so much, I ran 9.01 miles.

This run was very encouraging and made things much better after the frustrations earlier in the week.  Also, I think I have solved my running distances in Florida problem.  I shall run strategically planned laps around the drinking fountain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment