Sunday, May 22, 2011

Two runs in one weekend

The first thing that needs to be said is that I did it!  I ran all five planned runs this week.  It's the first time I've stuck to the schedule probably since December and my marathon training.  I wouldn't classify this as a miracle, because I actually am pretty good about staying on schedule most the time -- the past few months were more of an exception than the rule.  But it certainly felt nice to be back in a routine.

No real pain to report, which is great.  A bit of stress on my shins, but nothing unmanageable.  Next week it's a very similar schedule, except that instead of two 4-mile runs, I do one 4-mile and one 5.  Very doable.  Yay!

SATURDAY'S RUN

Let me just say that I destroyed Saturday's 3-mile run.  If runs had the will to live, I robbed mine of it (if that makes any sense).  I actually ran, for real.  Hard.  Fast (okay, not really fast, although at points, I got fast).  This one wound up being along the Graveyard Path again, sort of by accident -- but at least this time I did not get lost.  It was a bit hotter than I would have liked and a bit sunnier than I would have liked (I went at 5:30PM), but there is no doubt in my mind that this was the best bit of running that I have done in a very long time.  Felt good.  It helped that I needed to be finished within a specific time frame, so that was my motivation.  But it is good to know that somewhere there is still the ability to run.

SUNDAY'S RUN

Not nearly as triumphant as Saturday's run, but the key thing was to do it, and I did succeed in that goal.  Also a 3-mile run and I finally figured out the path that I tried to run on Thursday (it's trickier than I thought).  So that is also progress.  And hopefully next time I will not get completely lost.  Today was back to the slower speed, but I think that this was a good idea.  Too much fast will lead to injuries. 

Mostly I am just happy to have actually finished all of my planned runs this week.  Only 14 weeks more!  Okay, that's not quite such an encouraging thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment