Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Not quite full runs lately, but instead activities that are kind of like full runs.

I did get a couple of runs (or something...) in over the past few days.  Pittsburgh's hills are still my nemesis.  I think that they will require a long and extensive training plan before I can actually tackle them.  On Sunday, I went for a 4-mile 'run,' which wound up being more of a 3.5-mile run, followed by a 0.4-mile walk up ridiculous hills, then 0.1's worth of finishing where it leveled out.  Apart from the insane hills, the run was quite pleasant.  But it was awfully hard to get past the insane hills part.  Someday.  Maybe.  I am reminding myself that even when I was pretty far along in the marathon training, I gave up trying to run Pittsburgh hills.

The one positive that came out of this was a new motivating thought that I had: even though the hills feel awful, every step is bringing improvement.  It sounds much better now that I am writing it down, but the general gist of that was in my head after a while.  Probably right before I started walking.

But hey, I did almost manage to kind of run 4 miles, right?

Today it was HOT.  Stupid HOT.  As in 93F at 6pm.  Words cannot express how much I did not want to run in that.  So I decided to aquajog instead.  Was it running?  Not really.  Was it better than nothing?  Absolutely.  I did 40 minutes and got to hear a long and detailed conversation between two older ladies who knew pretty much everything about our condo association that you have ever needed or wanted to know.  This conversation took up pretty much the entire forty minutes.  And some people think that pretending to run around a pool could be boring.  For shame.

Tomorrow = destination Munich (okay, I won't get there until Thursday, but it's very soon).  I looked at a map today and there are acres and acres of green near me.  Here is hoping that they are not acres and acres of green with Pittsburgh-level hills.  Or maybe that would be a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment