Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Back in Munich

Yesterday, when I got up, I thought about going running and my legs virulently replied, 'NO.'  They also pleaded with me to never walk up 500+ narrow stairs again.

This morning, when I got up, I meant to do my 3 miles running in the opposite direction along the Rhine, but that didn't happen because I ate something that disagreed with me, then slept terribly.  The thing that I ate that disagreed with me was Flammkucken, which you would think would be relatively innocuous, but there you have it.

So my 3-mile run had to wait until Munich, after some travel (and stomach recovery time).  I noted that it was supposed to rain around 6pm and opted to miss out on the possibility of being drenched, Munich-style.  Instead, I went a bit later and decided to run around one of the local parks.

Except that it wasn't a park so much because it appeared to be under construction.  Why would a park be under construction?  Because it's not so much that it is a park; it's more that it is the beer grounds where people have Oktoberfest.  Since right now it is not Oktoberfest, it's somewhat empty, apart from a giant statue of Bavaria personified that can be seen from afar:

Bavaria, the statue! (Photo credit: http://tripideas.org/theresienwiese-munich-germany/)
Other fun things about the Theresienwiese (which is what this place is called) included the perimeter, which was nice and shady with a good running path.  Near the end of my run there was a not insignificant hill.  Good for training, even if I'm still not quite running hills all that well.

Tomorrow is a 4-mile run and my plan is to run in the English Garden, since that seems to be where everyone and his/her brother runs when in Munich.  When I was here a few weeks ago, it was somewhat far to get there.  However, now I can easily take the streetcar over and back.  Then I only need to motivate myself to get up bright and early to do my Thursday run--I think that anyone who follows this blog must already be aware that 'bright and early' is not exactly my thing.  I'll just keep reminding myself that it's 3 miles bright and early or 3 miles of sweaty and hot in Florida.  Hopefully that motivation will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment