Monday, January 31, 2011

'Then life intervened'

Sometimes, the best laid plans don't happen.  That was yesterday.  I really did want to go run, but was waylaid by stuff that needed doing.  For some reason, this reminded me of a Runner's World article from a while ago.  There were a bunch of half-marathon plans that were designed for individuals.  One was for a mother who had trained for a half-marathon before.  'Then,' as the article put it (at least in the paraphrased version that I'm choosing to remember'), 'life intervened.'  Or something like that -- it was definitely that gist.  I feel like this past January has been a whole month of life intervening.  On my marathon blog, I mentioned a book by Lois Lowry called Anastasia On Her Own (which is a fab book), where the nascent Type-A teenaged protagonist tries to schedule everything around the house, only to find that sometimes life intervenes.  So she makes up 'unexpected events,' which she schedules in to the daily routine (yes, this is probably the most Type-A thing ever).  I think that it's important to remember that sometimes these things happen.  Sure, it would have been better if I could have run more in January.  But it's okay.  I can still run 5k.  This might not be the PR that I was seeking, but it's not like I've lost all fitness by sitting around eating pork rinds in bulk.

Anyway, I have vowed to do better in February, barring any life interventions of course.  That started a day early because today I did get out running (yay!).  Today's workout was eight intervals that were 600 meters with a 90-second break in between.  I went just across the street on a relatively straight stretch of sidewalk.  This was a good workout: tough, but not impossible.  My times ranged pretty widely and weren't as fast as I would want in a perfect world.  However, that is exactly why we train: to get better.

All in all, I think that it went pretty well.  I definitely got a workout!  And it was somewhat humid (over 70%), but not completely ridiculous or anything.

Tomorrow's workout will be another Indo-Row session, so that one I can't miss or I might forfeit the class (you need to reserve in advance).  So that is on.  Here we go for February!

In exciting racing news, it looks like I will be doing a 5k later this month with a friend.  Just for fun.  It's a run put on by the Tampa Bay Lightning (local NHL team) and we will get a free ticket to see that night's game just for participating.

No comments:

Post a Comment