Sunday, January 2, 2011

First Florida run in a while

I'm definitely back in Florida.  What gave it away was the 86% humidity that accompanied me during this morning's run.  I went around 10am, figuring that in January, it should be okay to run that late.  It really wasn't.  I was not feeling any part of this run, even though it was only 3 miles.

For the first half, my legs felt like they were pushing through molasses.  I would attribute this to the lengthy amount of driving that I did over the past few days (from Canada back to Florida).  It was really not fun and I had to push remarkably hard just to get through the first mile.  It was one of those runs where you start looking at the distance already at 0.2 miles, only to realize that there is a long way to go.

Then as the run went on, I noticed that I felt hot and sweaty.  I mean, the weather wasn't horrible and I've run through worse, but apparently I have lost any and all hot-weather adaptation that I once had.  I feel like these conditions would not have felt so bad two months ago, but for some reason they did not click today.  After all, the dew point was only in the 60s, which is only maybe slightly uncomfortable according to Wikipedia. 

When I got back, I tried to stretch out my legs and realized that I had virtually no flexibility at all.  Again, I would attribute this to having spent too much time in the car over the past week.  I'm hoping that a week of good running will help correct these problems.  Also, if the weather wants to cool off and be less humid, I would not complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment