Friday, March 4, 2011

Weird parallels with piano playing

I used to play piano.  I took lessons and stuff for years.  Then I played less frequently, because I had other things that I needed to do (also, I no longer own a piano, which makes it tougher).  For a while I had a piano in my office but after a flooding incident, it disappeared.

Now I have a piano in my office again.

(Before you think that I have some crazy awesome upper management position with a piano in my office, let me assure you that I have to play piano on a relatively regular basis in front of forty people.  So it's nice to be able to practice).

Today, I sat down and played the piano for the first time in a while.  Some things sounded okay by the end (Brahms) and some need much, much more work (Bach, or at least it was a reasonable facsimile thereof at times).  This reminded me of my run yesterday.

I didn't take the toy, so I have no idea what speed I went, but I'm pretty sure it was slow.  However, I got through my 3M run with no major problems.  It just felt sluggish.  Much like my piano playing did.  It was more of a Brahms than a Bach run, in other words: I'm lacking in the dexterity, but I can still do the activity with some degree of competency.

To have a Bach run, I think more speedwork will be needed.  At the same time, I haven't done proper speedwork in a very long time, so that's okay.

I'm now extending this metaphor for marathon training to be a Wagnerian run.  Makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment