Sunday, February 6, 2011

Change in plans

Today was Superbowl Sunday.

I spent my Superbowl Sunday finishing up some busy work and cleaning out my work email, which had reached borderline negligent proportions.  I missed kickoff because I was completing a class outline.  After Superbowl, I wrapped up some grading.

I'm not complaining.  But I did realize something important today: things are pretty overwhelming for me right now.

In general, I am not a person who succumbs to the 'I'm too busy for stuff' excuse.  In fact, I'm not a big fan of it whatsoever.  But in the matter of my running plan, I think that the time has come to face reality.  There is too much right now that needs doing and not enough time to do it...much less run.

So I need to switch gears, switch attitudes, switch plans, and switch goals.  Maybe this is not the time to be aiming for a new 5K PR.  Maybe this is the time to find a running plan that I can follow consistently and make time for.  That's not happening right now with my plan and it's stressing me out. 

Tomorrow I am going to sit down and find a new, more viable plan. I'll still run my two upcoming 5Ks, but with the expectation that they may not be my best.  And more importantly, with the acceptance that if they aren't, that is fine.  Unfortunately, life again has intervened and my time is being taken up with other things.  But this too will pass and hopefully better balance is not too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment