Thursday, November 3, 2011

Run 1 of the New Plan: yes, I have fast twitch muscles (somewhere)

When you run, you use one of two kinds of muscles in your legs: fast twitch or slow twitch.  One helps you go fast, the other helps you go the distance.  You can probably guess which one is which.

I've decided to go with the more challenging, intermediate running plan for the next half-marathon.  Even though the slacker easy plan apparently worked (and I still have no idea how that was), I think that I'm in to be pushed this time around.  Hopefully, weather will cooperate again.  My book, The Runner's World Guide to Road Racing, suggests that you are ready for the intermediate level plan when you want to race a half-marathon, not just run it and survive to tell the tale.  After the last one, I feel ready to race...I hope!

Incidentally, I have used this book before with pretty good success.  In 2009, I did the intermediate 5k plan and I PRed (mind you, it was in Connecticut with amazing weather, but that is still a good sign).  The beginner marathon plan was the one that I used last year.  I opted to go with the intermediate plan for this half-marathon because I do want to be pushed, so it is time to step things up a bit.

Anyway, tonight's run was intervals at actually paces that are not wholly embarrassing.  You get to use your fast twitch muscles.  Whoo! Because I was starting to forget that I even had fast twitch muscles after all of the plodding runs that I've done over the past few months.  Think about it: I've been essentially running at a slow and steady pace SINCE MAY.  That is forever.  Not really, but it's starting to feel like it.  So tonight, it was fun to do intervals as a change of pace.

Saturday I am running the Northdale YMCA 5k.  Why not?  It's actually in the running plan to do a race and I felt like this would be a good endeavor.  I used to live right next to the Northdale YMCA and this will mark my third time doing this race, a personal record for participating in the same event.  My plan is to try and remember that I have fast twitch muscles.  With any luck the weather should be great.

I will be joined by a friend; we will be celebrating two years of her running by running the same race as her very first 5k (awwwwwwww).  We also ran her very second 5k together and she beat me.  I suspect that the same will occur on Saturday.  But that's okay because I have fast twitch muscles and I am not afraid to use them.

1 comment:

  1. I'll do my best! Looking forward to Saturday!

    ReplyDelete