Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boston Strong



Dear Friends,

As many of you are undoubtedly aware, I resided for many years in Boston and I am a runner.  Because of this, the recent events at the Boston Marathon have been particularly hard for me to comprehend.  Even though I no longer live there, I love Boston and try to visit whenever possible.  It was in Boston that I first started running, and I can only hope someday to participate in the renowned marathon—as a charity runner because I am not fast enough to qualify otherwise!  In fact, this year I had offered to run Boston for a charity that I support, but for various reasons this opportunity did not work out.

On Saturday, April 20, I participated in a local Run to Remember the victims of Boston, and while I am glad to have this chance, I wanted to do more.  Perhaps the most horrific aspect of the attacks to me is the fact that so many of the victims have been maimed and wounded.  One story from the Boston Globe told of two brothers, who both worked as roofers and who had both needed to have a leg amputated after the attack.  I am very worried about the victims because they will not be able to return to their everyday lives, and I want to be able to help them in a more concrete way.

Mayor Tom Menino of Boston and Governor Deval Patrick of Massachusetts have created The One Fund to help victims from the Boston Marathon attacks.  If you are reading this after the event, I would ask that you donate directly to the fund using the link provided.  Thank you for your support of Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment