Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chasing squirrels

Today I did the second 12-mile run in the training plan.  It went off without a hitch.  Part of me wanted to be frustrated with myself for having to walk so much and for not being faster.  But another part of me thought about my foster dog.  Remember that he is 3-legged, although I'm not sure that he got the memo on that.  When we go for walks, he is a very excited guy.  Most people don't even realize that he has three legs until they see him up close.

Like many dogs, he likes to chase squirrels.  Naturally, he doesn't catch the squirrels.  This has almost nothing to do with his 3-legged status and much more to do with the fact that he is held back by me on his leash.  He would be perfectly happy to run after them and catch them--although I'm not sure if he would know what to do with one if he did catch one!  So overall, it is a wholly futile situation.  But it still brings the foster dog great joy.  And trust me, he can run.  It's pretty amazing to see.

This is a bit like how I run.  I am chasing squirrels.  I will never be great, I will never be fast.  I will never catch my squirrel.  But that's okay.  Maybe it isn't about catching the squirrel so much as it is about enjoying the chase.

I also made a new rule: if the temperature is over 80Fwhen I start my run, then walking breaks are mandatory.  Seems reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment