Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Getting Back Up on That Treadmill

I did the required 4 miles today.

It was not fast.  It was not pretty.  I walked a lot.  Considering that I am probably still not 100% after the heat exhaustion on Monday, I decided that my best bet was to do it on the treadmill where I could stop easily if necessary.

Even though this was not the hardest workout I have ever done, I got through it.  And that is a good first sign.

What can I do next time?  Up the speed by one notch.  Then another.  Then another.  Until I am back at where I want to be for training runs...which just happens to be three notches away, actually.

Next I can reduce the amount of walking I do.  I suspect that I will have to walk a bit anyway or crank up my A/C possibly beyond its capabilities.  I think I would rather just walk a bit.  When I lived at my old place, there was a fitness center and I always had to walk--plus their gym was kept slightly cooler than my house.  This was the same treadmill I used to train for my PR 5k time, so evidently the walking didn't do that much harm.

What felt really great about tonight was that it was the first time in a long time where I felt like I completed what I set out to do.  Now, what I set out to do was not particularly challenging or particularly tough.  But I did it.  And now I can get better.

Something else I noticed tonight: that 'energy drink' that I had during my Monday run when I got heat exhaustion?  It actually contributed basically nothing and had 0% sodium.  This explains a lot.  Time to find a new actual energy drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment