Friday, January 6, 2012

Benchmarks for non-running illness

You probably won't believe it when I tell you that I got sick yet again after the last race.  Seriously.  I caught a nasty cold which then morphed into a sinus infection.  I still have the sinus infection.  It's the first one that I can recall experiencing (although thinking back, I may have had one in 2005).  Enough!  Enough!  Enough!

I consulted the internet to see if a sinus infection is something that was a no-no for running.  It's not, although Runner's World recommended waiting for 72 hours after first experiencing symptoms to allow the sinuses a bit of recovery time.  I took that advice.  Also, it was suggested to not run if temperature was over 99F.  So I now have three guidelines:

1) Only run if you are sick from the neck up (as in, not with a chest cold because as my last half-marathon demonstrated, that completely sucks);
2) Do not run if you have a temperature of 99F or over;
3) Give yourself 72 hours after the onset of sinusitis.

In case you're curious, my run still sucked today with plenty of walking involved.  Believe it or not, it's really hard to run well when you aren't able to fully use your nose for breathing.  Who knew?  I took my temperature when I got back and it was at a runnable 97.7F.

As I was writing this, I had a sneezing fit.  Here's hoping that is all!

No comments:

Post a Comment