Tuesday, July 3, 2012

This time I have a valid excuse

I have had limited internet on my computer.  So that's why I haven't been posting.  So there.

Australia running is going pretty well, for the most part.  No one informed me that Melbourne is very hilly, but I am learning to compensate.  I'm okay on gradual ups, just not extreme ones.  I know that it's all good for building strength, it's just hard to get excited about hills when you are finding one impossible to run because the angle is too extreme.

The cool weather is divine.  The locals seem to think that it is 'cold,' but after Canadian winters, I find it pretty temperate.  It hasn't been below freezing and during the day, it is more in the 10C range.  Yesterday, I thought that I was going to get stuck in cold rain (ew) but fortunately it held off.  While I would still rank cold rain above hot and humid, it is not my favorite.

There were a few snags last week as I got back into a routine, but nothing too bad.  No horrible aches and pains.  No sore calves like last summer.  Just a few runs where I felt slow.  I keep reminding myself that the only way of feeling faster is to go out there and run.

Also, I realized that I have been lying to myself for years.  I always thought that I had never taken breaks during runs.  Turns out, I did for the first year and a half of my running career.  During that time, I was running in cities (Boston, MA and Worcester, MA), meaning that I ran into traffic lights and other such necessary stops.  So I was having some breaks, I just didn't need to do walk/runs like I have for the past summer in Florida.  They've come in handy here as I am seeking to get back into shape.  A few stops never hurt anyone or anyone's mile pace, in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment