Thursday, October 13, 2011

Finding patterns

I think that I have figured out one reason that running has been more challenging this year.  When I started the most recent bunch of training, I was in Germany, where the weather was not torturous.  I got used to running at somewhat normal speeds.  Now I am back in Florida and that is impossible.  So I get going too fast, then find myself done.  Last year, when I was training for the marathon, I was running at a considerably slower pace most of the time--like a minute/mile slower.  I need to get back to that speed.  It's not easy, as much as I try to remind myself.

Tonight was another one of the warm-up, run, cool-down runs.  I was aiming for a slowish pace and almost succeeded, except that I needed to walk around 2 miles and didn't quite maintain the pace I was hoping for as a result.  It got somewhat hot again, although conditions are still nowhere near as evil as the summer.  It's okay.  I was actually much closer to my planned pace than I have been on any of these runs to this point, so I see that as progress.  Also, heck, I went running, so that's always a good thing.

Tuesday I got out as well, although that was too hot.  Due to some evening plans, I had to get out earlier than I would have ideally wanted, with Mr. Florida Sun still out.  After the halfway point, I added some walk breaks.  And should have started more slowly.  Yes, I'm figuring out the pattern, it's just taking me a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment